Re: Non-identical files with identical md5sums on Debian systems?

Hello,

Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> writes:

> Fabian Greffrath <fabian@greffrath.com> writes:
>
>> I do occasionally check for identical files on different systems by
>> comparing their md5sums. So, just out of interest, could someone tell me
>> (how to find out) how many non-identical files with identical md5sums
>> there are there on a typical (say, amd64) Debian system?
>
> Unless you have a collection of MD5 collision attacks, or have installed a
> package that includes a sample MD5 collision, the changes are quite good
> that the answer is "zero."  MD5 is no longer considered cryptographically
> strong, but that doesn't mean it's not a fairly random 128-bit hash.  You
> need a *lot* of files before even the birthday paradox will give you much
> likelihood of an MD5 collision that wasn't intentionally constructed.
exactly. And why don't you run a experiment, Fabian? I guess you have a
typical Debian system at your hands and calculating the MD5 hashes of
all distribution files burns only a few IOPs and CPU cycles ;).

Regards
hmw

PS: Let us see the results ;)