Re: Status of deb(5) format support in Debian

On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 06:24:32PM +0200, Guillem Jover wrote:
> Due to bug 718295, and in preparation to add non-gzip compression
> support for control.tar, I've tried to get an accurate view of the
> current deb(5) format support in software present in Debian. The
> resulting table looks pretty bad:
>
>    <https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Dpkg/DebSupport>

If you want uncompressed data.tar, it is already possible without
adding a new format that most tools don't know about.

Good news: xz supports uncompressed lzma2 chunks.
Bad news: tools don't expose this, xz -0 stands for "fast but non-null".

Instead of putting effort towards teaching tools about bare .tar,
perhaps it would be better to use null xz?  Such debs would work with
everything that supports xz.

--
ᛊᚨᚾᛁᛏᚣ᛫ᛁᛊ᛫ᚠᛟᚱ᛫ᚦᛖ᛫ᚹᛖᚨᚲ