Re: Status of deb(5) format support in Debian

On Thu, Aug 01, 2013 at 02:18:13PM +0200, Helmut Grohne wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 06:56:40PM +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> > I'm myself guilty of having implemented, back in 2007, python-debian's
> > support to manipulate .deb files: the debian.debfile module. It is yet
> > another Python implementation of deb(5), because back in the days there
> > was no libdpkg* libraries I could wrap around (IIRC).
>
> Worse, I am guilty of also having implemented the same functionality in
> the same language again. The interfaces provided by python-debian are
> insufficient[1] for fixed-memory package processing. Is there any chance
> of getting this fixed in python-debian? It would likely require adding
> or changing a number of interfaces.

Can you please file a bug report about that (ideally marking the pending
ITPs as blockers for it)? Regarding changing interfaces it would be
better not to do that, of course, but even more so because it's not
clear to me how many users of the debfile module are out there in the
wild. We can do a call for it or something, but let's move the
discussion to an appropriate bug report first.

> For the compression support (data.tar, data.tar.xz), you can "borrow"
> the implementation from dedup.d.n. The license should be compatible and
> relicensing should not be an issue if needed. Indeed, this could be a
> move of the code if I could start using python-debian.

I would surely welcome code deduplication (and the fact it comes from
dedup.d.n makes it almost mandatory to do *g*).

Cheers.
Former Debian Project Leader  . . @zack on identi.ca . . o o o . . . o .