Re: best policies for third party Debian packaging and get-orig-source target

Hi Andreas,

Thank you for your kind message, and for your interest.

On Tue, 30 Jul 2013 11:06:38 +0200, Andreas Tille <andreas@an3as.eu> wrote:
> Hi Faheem,
>
> I'm really happy that I asked back! ;-)
>
> On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 08:03:19AM +0000, Faheem Mitha wrote:
>> On Tue, 30 Jul 2013 09:01:43 +0200, Andreas Tille <andreas@an3as.eu> wrote:
>> > Hi Faheem,

>> > Could you please tell us what specialized software you have written.
>> > You might simply like to post your Description field here to let others
>> > know.
>>
>> Hi Andreas,
>>
>> Certainly, but I'm pretty sure this is of no general interest.
>
> You can never be sure!  Sometimes it is of specific interest ...
>
>> It is
>> accompanying software for a paper I've written.  It is just an
>> implementation of the methods I've developed. The package description
>> itself is fairly useless (I should think about how to write it
>> better), but I include the abstract of the paper below. This probably
>> could also use some work.
>>
>>   We describe and implement a method to predict new members of a DNA
>>   sequence motif family using Bayesian model selection. This method
>>   assumes a specific correlation structure on the set of sequences. We
>>   apply our method to test the prediction of DNA sequence motifs in a
>>   cross-validation setup for two datasets.
>
> The mailing list archive shows that in 2008 you had contributed to the a
> plink related thread - so you might know the Debian Med project.  In
> case you are unsure you might probably want to have a look at the list
> of packages which definitely fall into your field on our web
> sentinel[1].  If you want to have your package inside Debian (which
> includes a lot of advantages starting from QA means until finally get
> your publication listed on our web sentinel) you should move this thread
> to Debian Med mailing list and we could talk about details there.  I
> personally can not see any advantage for you to create private packages
> if you can have publicly available ones.

I also exchanged some emails with Debian-Med developers (including
yourself) in January regarding MEME. Additionally, I wrote on June 7th
asking if the project wanted any help with the ggplot2 package, which
was out of date, and asking to be added to the Project Member
List. (I'm faheem-guest on alioth.) I did not get a reply to this
message. I'm a little puzzled why ggplot2 is being packaged by Debian
Med. It is a general purpose R graphing package.

I certainly have no objection to my package being in
Debian. Regardless of whether Debian Med considers it worthy of
inclusion, I'd certainly appreciate any feedback on the package from
people who probably know far more about such things than I do.

I'm in the process of reworking my repos so I can make it public. When
I have done so I'll post the repos location to Debian Med, and then
you (the Debian Med developers) can decide if you have any interest in
the software.

In the meantime, I'd still appreciate feedback on the general issues I
originally posted about in this thread.

>> The software uses SQL (PostgreSQL), Python, R and C++, so it is a bit
>> of a hotchpotch, and while a small package, it has a large number of
>> dependencies. Unfortunately the R packages I use are not all in
>> Debian, last I checked.
>
> So why not changing at least the availablity of the preconditions?

I'm not sure what you mean.

> Looking forward to help you solving your packaging problem in Debian Med
> team.

Thank you again for your interest.

                  Regards, Faheem