Re: Survey answers part 3: systemd is not portable and what this means for our ports

On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 02:59:20AM +0300, Uoti Urpala wrote:
> Whether your argument was honest or not, I think it was a bad one. OK,
> perhaps you have concerns about the philosophy behind systemd and where
> that might take it in the future. Such "philosophy" issues are rather
> subjective. But your argument objectively fails at the "... and
> therefore moving to systemd may not be the right choice" part. Your
> concerns, even if taken seriously, do justify such a conclusion. If
> systemd development goes in a direction you don't like, the rational
> answer is to fork it and do better if you can. Leaving Debian behind
> with an inferior init system is not an answer to your concerns.

Since Debian is always in need of developers and volunteers, it isn't
objectively reasonable to expect that forking a project will be
possible.  One thing that needs to be taken into consideration is the
*likelihood* that upstream will take development in an undesirable
direction, or in a direction that is not acceptable for Debian.

For example, if an upstream expresses disinterest in supporting non-PC
architectures, that may be a bad piece of software for Debian to place
in an important role, even if it currently works on all our
architectures, since Debian is very portable among different
architectures.