Re: how can we help DSA save money

]] Steven Chamberlain

> On 09/07/13 10:40, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> > I approve the purchase of additional storage for backups (~2300 EUR) and
> > for our new hosting location at Bytemark, where snapshot.d.o will be moved
> > soon (~£7000).
>
> May I ask some more details about this please;  what kind/amount of
> storage can DSA get for this, and are these costs for the hardware and
> warranty, or does it also include costs of setup, hosting, power or
> other ancillary bits?

Backups is 8 x 4T Seagate Constellation drives.  Bytemark is 24 x 4T
Seagate Constellation drives.  We get setup, hosting, power, etc
donated, so that is not part of the cost there.

> The reason I ask, is that a feature of Debian software and development
> work, is being able to derive more benefit from lower-cost,
> general-purpose hardware.  (And also because this stood out as being
> quite a big purchase if it is just storage).

It's quite a bit of storage.  Snapshot is large.

> This is somewhere that contributors could help instead of financially,
> but by designing, developing, or simply documenting solutions that
> would fulfill DSA needs.

The only realistic alternative to spending the money here would be if
some company donated the equivalent in hardware.  It's not really
possible to code ourselves out of this one.

--
Tollef Fog Heen