Re: Survey answers part 3: systemd is not portable and what this means for our ports

On Sun, Jul 14, 2013 at 10:57:23AM +0200, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> >You also wrote more or less that systemd is the only way to support
> >cgroups, while this is untrue. OpenRC at least has support for it (and
> >probably upstart too? I'm not sure...), and it also builds on FreeBSD
> >(not yet Debian kFreeBSD, but that also should be easy to fix). The
> >argument that to support modern things like cgroups, an init system has
> >to be incompatible with anything else than Linux is just simply false.

> upstart is (or is going to use) the prctl Linux system call and
> therefore no longer compatible with non-Linux kernels.

Not sure where this idea comes from.  upstart has never supported non-Linux
kernels; we're open to it being ported to other kernels, but prctl is a
minor detail for kernel compatibility compared with other, more significant
features that upstart relies on.