Re: License for the Raspberry PI

On 10-07-13 11:24, Martin Bagge / brother wrote:
> On 2013-07-10 10:39, Tobias.Harzen@dlr.de wrote:
>> The Raspberry PI works with the software Raspbian and there is
>> installed your operating system Debian. My question is: Do I need a
>> license for the software to develop in a company?
>
> No but if you change components in the actual distribution you have to
> comply with the license of the component you changed.

To clarify: yes, there is a license and yes, you do need to comply with
it. However, none of the Debian components have licenses that require
you to pay for use or modification of the software, or forbid you to use
it for any purpose you see fit (exception: if you have enabled the
non-free repository, which is not part of Debian proper, the license may
forbid you to use the software for some particular purpose).

The exact license for each package, with the requirements that you need
to comply with, can be found in the file /usr/share/doc/<package>/copyright.

--
This end should point toward the ground if you want to go to space.

If it starts pointing toward space you are having a bad problem and you
will not go to space today.

  -- http://xkcd.com/1133/