Re: Current and upcoming toolchain changes for jessie

Julien Cristau wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 13, 2013 at 14:51:43 +0200, Matthias Klose wrote:
>
> > Am 07.05.2013 15:25, schrieb Matthias Klose:
> > > The decision when to make GCC 4.8 the default for other
> > > architectures is left to the Debian port maintainers.
> > [...]
> > > Information on porting to GCC 4.8 from previous versions of GCC
> > > can be found in the porting guide
> > > http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-4.8/porting_to.html
> > >
> > > It is planned to only keep GCC 4.8 and the upcoming GCC 4.9, and
> > > to remove 4.4, 4.6 and 4.7 from jessie.
> >
> > GCC 4.8 is now the default on all x86 architectures, and on all ARM
> > architectures (the latter confirmed by the Debian ARM porters).  I
> > did not get any feedback from other port maintainers, so unless
> > this does change and port maintainers get involved with toolchain
> > maintenance, the architectures staying at 4.6 or 4.7 shouldn't be
> > considered for a successful release (re-)qualification.
> >
> FWIW, it looks like current glib2.0 is miscompiled on sparc with
> gcc-4.6, and the issue goes away with 4.8.

I can also confirm some miscompilation related to the optimisation with
4.6 on powerpc (gcr package, see bug #678496).

Compiling with 4.8 or disabling optimisation (-O0) fixed the issue. As
a side note, disabling valgrind macros also made the test succeed.

Cheers

Laurent Bigonville