Re: ITP: Percona XtraBackup - hot backup utility for MySQL

Excerpts from Paul Wise's message of 2013-07-02 00:20:36 -0700:
> On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 2:41 PM, Stewart Smith wrote:
>
> > I'm Stewart and I work for Percona. One of the things I'm currently
> > working on is ensuring all our free and open source software projects
> > are packaged for all the major linux distributions - including my
> > beloved Debian.
>
> Since you are part of upstream, please review our upstream guide and
> the links in the external advice section:
>
> http://wiki.debian.org/UpstreamGuide
>
> > We're wanting to have Percona XtraBackup be part of Debian.
>
> Excellent.
>
> > There is an open bug for Percona XtraBackup packaging:
>
> Since you intend to package it, you should retitle this bug to intent
> to package and set yourself as the owner of it:
>
> http://www.debian.org/devel/wnpp/#l3
> http://www.debian.org/Bugs/server-control#retitle
> http://www.debian.org/Bugs/server-control#owner
>
> > We are going to make "upload release to Debian" be part of our release
> > process.... We want to be an active and involved upstream.
>
> Great.
>
> > I've put up source tarball and packaging for unstable up at:
> > http://www.percona.com/downloads/TESTING/XtraBackup/xtrabackup-2.1.3/release-2.1.3/610/source/
>
> I'm unable to unpack the source package:
>
> $ dpkg-source -x percona-xtrabackup_2.1.3-610-1.dsc
> dpkg-source: warning: extracting unsigned source package
> (percona-xtrabackup_2.1.3-610-1.dsc)
> dpkg-source: error: File ./percona-xtrabackup_2.1.3-610.orig.tar.gz
> has size 39459 instead of expected 141074103
>
> You may want to run some commands from the source tree after a build:
>
> http://wiki.debian.org/HowToPackageForDebian#Check_points_for_any_package
>
> Also, I encourage you to sign your Debian packages and also your
> upstream tarballs using OpenPGP keys. Here are some best practices for
> https://we.riseup.net/riseuplabs+paow/openpgp-best-practices
>
> > Why is the tarball so big and why did it require an internet connection?
> > Well, XtraBackup uses *part* of the MySQL code (actually, mostly parts
> > of InnoDB)
>
> An alternative to including the MySQL InnoDB code might be to
> build-depend on mysql-source-5.5, unpack and patch it during the build
> process and add Built-Using: mysql-5.5 (= $version) to the resulting
> binary package.

I believe that one problem with this will be that the patched InnoDB code
that is used is from an older version, and porting the patch forward does
not add any value for xtrabackup, but would require significant resources.

Just an FYI, I have been working with Stewart on this and I feel this
is the way to go, even though it is not as clean as building against
mysql-source-5.5.