Re: ITP: Percona XtraBackup - hot backup utility for MySQL

 ❦  2 juillet 2013 09:20 CEST, Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> :

>> Why is the tarball so big and why did it require an internet connection?
>> Well, XtraBackup uses *part* of the MySQL code (actually, mostly parts
>> of InnoDB)
>
> An alternative to including the MySQL InnoDB code might be to
> build-depend on mysql-source-5.5, unpack and patch it during the build
> process and add Built-Using: mysql-5.5 (= $version) to the resulting
> binary package.

The problem is that it should Build-Depends on Percona MySQL which is
not yet available in Debian. I think the first step would be to provide
Percona MySQL packages. Currently, it seems that there is no easy way to
provide packages as alternative to MySQL but maybe work has already
started with MariaDB.
--
/* Fuck me gently with a chainsaw... */
        2.0.38 /usr/src/linux/arch/sparc/kernel/ptrace.c