Re: boot ordering and resolvconf

]] Helmut Grohne

>  * Treating an empty /etc/resolv.conf as a permanent error or failing
>    to discover changes in /etc/resolv.conf later on.
>  * Changing /etc/resolv.conf during startup of a local dns cache.
>
> So if /etc/resolv.conf is declared to be static (A), then the second
> practise is broken. And if dynamic modifications are to be supported
> (B), then the first practise is broken.

I think changing /etc/resolv.conf automatically is broken at all.  We
should have a generated /run/resolv.conf that's overridden by the
settings in /etc/resolv.conf (if it exists).  This allows you to have a
consistent set of domains searched for matching hosts even when roaming
to other networks.  It also allows me to express the preference «I want
to use localhost as a nameserver, always» without resorting to chattr to
prevent dhclient, NetworkManager and other tools from auto-updating the
resolv.conf file.

--
Tollef Fog Heen