Re: boot ordering and resolvconf

In addition resolvconf does not properly support mode (A), due to the
"local forwarding nameserver is running" requirement. It can leave
/etc/resolv.conf empty until the name server is actually started.

Well, you are right that resolvconf was designed to support mode B,
and only supports mode A as a trivial case of mode B where a local
forwarding nameserver is always running.

That resolvconf leaves resolv.conf empty of "nameserver" entries when
no nameservers are available is intentional.  The idea is to advertise
only addresses where something is actually listening.

I understand, though, (vaguely) that this is not how things work in the
systemd world, so I expect that resolvconf, or the use of resolvconf,
will have to be adapted for the systemd world. Help and advice will be
appreciated: see bug report #700846.

By the way, inconsistent with the aforementioned idea is the fact that
the resolver defaults to using 127.0.0.1 if there are no "nameserver"
lines in resolv.conf. Were you aware of that?

As far as I can tell the unbound part works very well on wheezy already.
Well except for ntpd not noticing.

Thanks for pointing that out.  I don't use unbound so I hadn't noticed that
resolvconf hook scripts have been added to the unbound package.  I will
update the resolvconf README.
--
Thomas