Re: wrong configuration in daemon

On Sun, Jun 16, 2013 at 08:28:18PM +0200, Salvo Tomaselli wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a question concerning a bugreport I got, but that could be quite
> general.
>
> Let's say a daemon provides POP and IMAP, and is configured to provide both,
> in a pop.conf and imap.conf.
>
> How should the daemon ideally fail in case one of the two configuration files
> is incorrect but the other is fine?
>
> Should it log the situation and start the service that it's able to start? Or
> should it just not start at all?

This is dependent on the exact daemon and the potential repercussions of not
starting one of the services.

* If it is actually providing both POP and IMAP, it should probably start the
  service with the working config file, and log an error for the other one.
  However, if that is hard to achieve, not starting either service is a valid
  option.

* If it is actually the control system for a nuclear power station, and the
  config files are for the "add more uranium" and "prevent meltdown" services,
  it should probably do an emergency shutdown of the reactor and then prevent
  anything from starting until the problem is fixed.

--
http://www.cafepress.com/trunktees -- geeky funny T-shirts
http://gtdfh.branchable.com/ -- GTD for hackers