Re: DH way to set SONAME

On 09/06/13 08:00, Jerome BENOIT wrote:
> Hello List,
>
> because of backward incompatibility I have to add a suffix to
> my library package name. But lintian keep noticing the mismatch.
> I know the the soname of a library can be specify by passing
> appropriate options to the gcc tools: is a DH way to do so ?

Don't patch your library to change the SONAME in Debian. If the ABI was broken,
tell upstream and let them bump the SONAME. If they don't, then it's better to
add a suffix to the Debian package (such as libfoo1 -> libfoo1a) and add
unversioned Breaks/Replaces against the old libfoo1. lintian isn't always right,
you can ignore the warning.

Patching a library downstream to bump the SONAME needs to be done only in very
special cases and when you know what you're doing. For instance you're going to
break compatibility with third party software that links against the old SONAME.

Cheers,
Emilio