Re: x32 “half” arrived… now what?

(Sorry about the lack of threading... for some reason I'm unable to find the
links to download mbox archives for replying to the messages.)

FTBFS: Yes, I'm aware of that, and for now you have to include "unreleased" as
well using multistrap with the instructions at http://wiki.debian.org/X32Port
.  (And apologies for the inconvenience...  That will also get you a newer
version of binutils:x32 which makes elf32_x86_64 the default target -- which
is really only important if your source package is using "ld -r" or otherwise
running ld manually.)

For the reason we still have multilib packages instead of relying on
multiarch, see the thread starting at
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2013/05/msg00692.html .  (The one good
argument there IMO is that dropping libc6-i386 in favor of libc6:i386 could
cause difficulties autobuilding gcc-multilib when e.g. libgcc1:i386 and
libgcc1:amd64 get out of sync because of buildd delays.  I still don't see any
good reason to keep the other multilib packages like lib32gmp10.)

In answer to Russ's concerns about sizeof(time_t) > sizeof(long): that hasn't
really been a major concern in my experience (the biggest impact is that it
causes gobject-introspection to FTBFS -- #699024).  The bigger porting
concerns are code using x86_64 asm, and the fact that x32 doesn't support the
sysctl(2) interface.  On the latter point, I get the feeling that might be a
result of another of Linus' decrees ("new architectures shall not support this
interface which was obsolete from the moment it was introduced"), though
that's just a pure guess.  Oh, and then there's the multitude of build
failures because of the package's copy of libtool being out of date.
--
Daniel Schepler