Re: default MTA

On Thu, 6 Jun 2013 20:06:56 -0400, Chris Knadle
<Chris.Knadle@coredump.us> wrote:
>On Thursday, June 06, 2013 16:30:48, Roger Lynn wrote:
>> The smarthosts run by ISPs that most people will be using by default have
>> to accept mail direct from MUAs such as Outlook and Thunderbird which will
>> often be unable to generate compliant greetings. The pickier settings are
>> more often used on incoming servers which expect to have proper SMTP
>> servers speaking to them.
>
>I think that's true, however I'd still rather not _count on_ that always being
>the case.

I have not seen an ISP smarthost that didn't accept any rubbish in the
EHLO string in years. Smarthosts can be configured to be even more
forgiving on Port 587.

For example, Debian's default exim configuration is configured to not
do recipient verification if the message comes in from a host for
which we are a smarthost (by virtue of being listed in
relay_from_hosts or by successful authentication) since we assume that
MUAs might hide SMTP error messages from the user. Exim, in this case,
will create a regular bounce for messages for non-existing recipients
instead of rejecting it at SMTP time which is the normal mode of
operation.

Greetings
Marc