Re: default MTA

On 05/31/2013 12:27 AM, Philip Hands wrote:
> Well, I'd say that at least part of the motivation was actually to write
> a qmail replacement, that didn't have someone with DJB's atitute to
> licensing as upstream -- it was for a long time called vmailer
> (v==vapour) as coined by DJB, and adopted by Wietse because it amused
> him.
>
> Given that it was qmail inspired, which was writen with the similar
> approach of having a crowd of distinct daemons perfornming one task
> each, with a UID for each, I'd say that the intent was to match qmail's
> security focus.
>
> If one were simply trying to replace Sendmail, the result might well
> have looked a lot more like Exim, with a monolithic executable, that
> forks into the various roles required.

Well, in that case, it failed to be as simple to configure as qmail.

Even though I've switch to Postfix so long ago that I can't remember, I
still prefer the way to configure Qmail. Which I don't use anymore for
unrelated very valid reasons... like the deferred bounce (which since
have been fixed), but that's not all, and I believe any (old) Qmail user
know what I have in mind! :)

Thomas