Re: default MTA

On Sat, 2013-06-01 at 15:06 -0400, Chris Knadle wrote:
> On Friday, May 31, 2013 07:15:36, Marc Haber wrote:
[...]
> > SMTP with client certificates is possible, but I
> > have only seen this two times in 15 years of running E-Mail servers.
>
> Yes I'd expect this to be rare, and I can't recall using them for SMTP.
[...]

I set up my smarthost to allow relaying from external servers that
present a CAcert-signed client certificate for a name under
decadent.org.uk.  Any machine outside the home LAN then needs such a
certificate installed before using this smarthost.

It wasn't that easy to set up, and the certificates need to be renewed
regularly (every 6 months for CAcert), but the credentials are now
clearly associated with a machine rather than a person and it
effectively validates that I'm using TLS for outgoing mail from my
laptop.  (But did I correctly enable validation of the smarthost's
server certificate?  Not sure.)

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
You can't have everything.  Where would you put it?