Re: Custom Reload command/signal in upstart

Zygmunt Krynicki wrote:
> W dniu sob, cze 1, 2013 o 12:52 ,nadawca John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
> <glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de> napisał:
> > On 06/01/2013 12:24 PM, Vincent Bernat wrote:
> >         I don't know how systemd behaves in this way (so this is not
> >         something to hold against upstart), but there are so many
> >         daemons that need to be started after the network has been
> >         configured that it should be easy to do this. For example,
> >         most daemons binding to a specific address needs to be
> >         started after the address has been configured.
> > Which is exactly the very one design decision which is wrong in
> > upstart. Starting any service as soon as all its dependencies are
> > fulfilled, is putting the dependency chain upside down and doesn't
> > make any sense. There is no point to start a daemon unless you
> > actually need it.

Correct about the design, but not about the practical use. Even under
systemd, the default configuration is typically to make services always
start without waiting for on-demand loading.

> I believe there was a counter example of using CUPS where unless you
> really start it, other machines won't discover it via avahi and you
> won't be able to print to a networked printer.

That's not a counterexample to the substantial points though. It shows
that you shouldn't be too careless in setting up on-demand loading if
you want it, but that isn't really what was being discussed.