Re: How to check for other init systems from sysvinit script

Vincent Bernat <bernat@debian.org> writes:

> I still use /etc/init.d/XXXX start by habit and I find it convenient to
> divert to systemd but I have no strong opinion on this. As long as
> upstart jobs mask init scripts when booting, we are fine.

Completely independent of the discussion in this thread, I encourage you
to get in the habit of using the service program instead because it cleans
the environment before starting the init script.  I cannot tell you how
many times I've had to track down odd bugs in daemons that turned out to
be because they were started by a sysadmin running the init script with
weird settings in their environment.