Re: Eliminating mail-transport-agent from standard

On Thu, 30 May 2013 12:40:03 +0200
Marc Haber <mh+debian-devel@zugschlus.de> wrote:

> On Thu, 30 May 2013 12:06:17 +0300, Riku Voipio <riku.voipio@iki.fi>
> wrote:
> >On Mon, May 27, 2013 at 08:27:36PM -0700, Josh Triplett wrote:
> >> In addition to determining the MTA pulled in by default for packages
> >> which require mail-transport-agent in order to function (the provider of
> >> default-mta), I'd like to propose as a release goal that we not have any
> >> MTA in standard anymore.  I've actually worked towards this goal for a
> >> while now, and made a fair bit of progress; this mail documents the
> >> remaining work required, most of which is simple dependency/priority
> >> changes and patch application.
> >
> >+1
> >
> >In this age of spam, installing email server should be explicit decision
> >by system admin rather that something that becomes automatically when
> >you install Debian.
>
> What is the danger of having a local email server on the system, in
> the way we install exim in the default?

Turn that on it's head:

What is the benefit of having a local email server installed on every
system compared to the space it takes up and the fact that it sits
there unconfigured, doing nothing useful?

So far, the only answer I've come across for that is "because 'at'
depends on it", to which the correct solution is: "apt-get --purge
autoremove at"

--

Neil Williams