Re: Switching to mozilla ESR in stable-security

Hi,

On 05/28/2013 22:33, Moritz Muehlenhoff wrote:
> As such, we'll switch to releasing the ESR releases of iceweasel
> and icedove in stable-security.
> Reverse-deps of the older xulrunner libs have negligable security
> impact and we won't update them any further.
>
> One problematic aspect are the various xul-ext-* packages currently
> packaged. It's very likely that some of them will break with ESR17
> and ESR24 in the future.
>
> However, there's not much we can do here. We can select a narrow (!)
> set of important addons (e.g. enigmail for Icedove) that we will
> keep in sync through stable-security, but that doesn't scale for
> the full scale of Mozilla extensions currently packaged.
>
> In the future the majority of packages should thus rather be installed
> through http://addons.mozilla.org instead of Debian packages.

As mentioned on IRC, I wonder what we should do with these extentions
now and for future releases. There seem to be several options:

a) Remove most Mozilla extensions from stable/testing/unstable and
   let users install them from addons.mozilla.org.

   Important addons could stay if agreed with release and/or security
   teams, e.g. enigmail (mentioned above) or adblock (part of the
   default Debian GNOME installation).

b) Let maintainers update extensions via either -security or
   -(proposed-)updates.
   This causes additional work for the security team or the release
   team for at least coordinating updates. I wouldn't expect them to
   be able to review the changes which means a break from our current
   stable policy.

b2) like b), but only do so for jessie and remove the extensions from
   testing/unstable.

c) Let maintainers provide updated extensions via an additional
   repository (e.g. mozilla.d.n or some developer repository).

I would expect some more packages giving us similar problems in the
future: other web browsers (chromium) or web applications (owncloud?)
where we might have to provide new upstream versions that require
updating related packages (or breaking them).

With my user hat on, I would like to have (b) though I'm not sure how
much work it would be.

I don't like (c). It's too similar to (b) with a workflow easy enough
for the release/security team.

Ansgar