Re: default MTA

On Monday, May 27, 2013 21:02:22, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> Now that we are done with systemd for the time being, can we have the
> flame war about replacing Exim with Postfix as the default MTA?
>
> Are there any objections other than "but I like it this way!"?

What are the reasons to make the switch?  (I think it's more important to hear
the "pro" reasoning than the "con" reasoning.)

But to answer your question: my "objections" to Postfix over Exim,
off-the-top-of-my-head:

  - Exim is more popular

    http://www.securityspace.com/s_survey/data/man.201201/mxsurvey.html

  - Exim has a GPL license, which is preferable IMHO.

    Postfix uses the "IBM Public License" which places any liability on
    the distributor of the software, and has some other unfortunate
    clauses and is GPL incompatible.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_Public_License

  - Exim configuration is more human readable than Postifx's, IMHO.

    Postfix configuration is concise but terse, and there are typically
    blocks of options separated by commas that doesn't easily allow
    commenting on specific config options.

  - Exim logging is cleaner than Postfix's, IMHO.  Postfix seems to
    "redeliver mail to itself" repeatedly which makes it more difficult
    to grep the logs for a complete transaction.

  -- Chris

--
Chris Knadle
Chris.Knadle@coredump.us