Re: optimizing PNGs

On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 02:01:06PM +0100, Jonathan Dowland wrote:
> From my brief experience of working on games-thumbnails, I can appreciate that
> the space savings may well be worth it at scale, but performing
> compression/optimisation at package build stage is a major PITA. For
> lossless-compression, there's no reason for the compressed PNGs to not be
> integrated upstream (esp. in the case of local packages like games-thumbnails).

Some plugins for photoshop etc store data in the fields that get removed
by pngcrush and friends. In a sense, doing this is removing source data.

While treating .png files as prefered forms of modification is insane,
there are cases where crushing this will render them even worse.

I've been debating writing dh_pngcrush / dh_jpegoptim. I think it's a
good idea. Just don't expect graphic designers to want the result.

--
 .''`.  Paul Tagliamonte <paultag@debian.org>
: :'  : Proud Debian Developer