Re: using upstart in Debian

On Mon, May 27, 2013 at 11:58:13AM -0700, Nikolaus Rath wrote:
> The only way to avoid this (at least at the time I reported the bug),
> would have been to recompile mountall to emit events with --no-wait (but
> I'm not sure what other unintended consequences that would have had).

Lots of them.  There are various actions one wants to take as soon as a
filesystem is mounted, and before anything else is allowed to use the
filesystem - tmp cleaning, for instance, or populating heirarchies on /run.
Jobs starting on such 'mounted' events *must* block until they're finished,
so that you don't have one part of the system racing to use /tmp while
another part is still cleaning it.  This is the primary purpose for which
these 'mounted' events are made available.

> As I said, there isn't a bug anywhere here. Once you understand what's
> going on, this all makes sense. But I don't consider this a very good
> design.

Well, I don't think it's a bad design that third-party jobs can see and use
upstart events that were created primarily for internal consumption; if
anything, the problem is in documenting these in a way that doesn't make it
clear that they are not a general-purpose interface for services and should
not be used except in special cases.