Re: systemd .service file conversion

Well,

each init system has it's proponents, so they can provide support (in form of patches) for those tightly-tied package.

E.g. adopt an approach similar to our archs, setup some criteria[*] for supporting the init system and either it can keep up and fullfil the criteria or it won't and we drop the support for that particular init system.

I guess both systemd and upstart would be able to fill the criteria just fine. If anybody wants OpenRC, then fine, but provide the support, time and energy to meet the criteria.

* - this needs to be defined, but I imagine something like this:
- 95% of native init configs in Packages with Priority: standard
- 60% of native init scripts in Packages with Priority: optional
- support for udev/dbus/whatever/...

O.

On Mon, May 27, 2013 at 9:51 AM, Lucas Nussbaum <lucas@debian.org> wrote:
Hi,

On 27/05/13 at 09:13 +0200, Ondřej Surý wrote:
> On Sun, May 26, 2013 at 10:29 PM, Helmut Grohne <helmut@subdivi.de> wrote:
>
> > I find it depressing to see four init/rc systems, of which three are
> >  mutually incompatible in every single possible aspect.
> >

> Just my two cents.
>
> I would be quite happy to write service files for two (systemd, upstart) or
> three (systemd, upstart, openrc) of those in all my packages[*], if it
> stops the endless flamewar here. I would also be happy to have the
> requirement to support two (or three) of them in the Debian policy.
>
> I know that we would still need to pick-up default, but that might be a
> slightly easier task than to decide the only supported init system.
>
> * - That's just *6* out of my 70+ package, but I doubt that anybody has too
> much packages with init script to handle (and if that's the case he should
> have co-maintainers).

The point has been made (in [1]) that the problem of supporting several
init implementations is not really with packages providing services, but
with packages strongly tied with the init system.

[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2013/05/msg01275.html

However, I would very much welcome a more detailed justification of that
point.

Lucas