Re: libtiff borken - cannot build anymore?

> Including the maintainer of libtiff*

Thanks!  I'm not currently subscribed to debian-devel, but please feel
free to keep me on this thread.

> On Mo, 20 Mai 2013, Norbert Preining wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> when trying to build a new release of telxive-bin fixing a nasty bug
>> alas, I cannot build anymore:
>> The following packages have unmet dependencies:
>>  libtiff4-dev : Conflicts: libtiff5-dev but 4.0.2-6 is to be installed.
>>  libtiff5-dev : Conflicts: libtiff4-dev but 3.9.6-11 is to be installed.
>> Unable to resolve dependencies!  Giving up...
>>
>> The build deps that I have are:
>> 	libgd2-xpm-dev | libgd2-noxpm-dev	=> libtiff5-dev
>> 	libgs-dev	=> libtiff4-dev
>> How should this work out?

The situation is that you can't have both libtiff4-dev and libtiff5-dev
on the build dependency chain of any two packages at the same time.  For
now, what you have to do instead is to have the package that requires
libtiff5-dev instead build-depend on libtiff5-alt-dev.  The
README.Debian installed with libtiff5-dev and libtiff5-alt-dev explains
how to use this, but basically if you use pkg-config to get the libtiff5
headers and libraries, you will be good to go before and after debian
fully transitions.

This situation will be resolved after we transition from tiff 3.x
(supplied by the tiff3 source package, runtime is libtiff4) to tiff 4.x
(supplied by the tiff source package, runtime is libtiff5).  At that
point, everyone using libtiff4-dev, libtiff5-dev, or libtiff5-alt-dev
should switch to libtiff-dev, which will be based on tiff 4.x
(libtiff5).  People who can't use libtiff5 for some compatibility reason
(and this should be extremely rare) will be able to switch to
libtiff4-alt-dev for a transitional period.  I hope that jessie will
include only libtiff5 and that the tiff3 source package will be
dropped.  My plans for transition have not been accepted by the release
team yet, so it may not happen exactly the way I'm thinking it will.

For additional details, see my message to the release team:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-release/2013/05/msg00127.html

--
Jay Berkenbilt <qjb@debian.org>