Re: Packaging releases without a tarball (sometimes)

On 05/17/2013 01:02 PM, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Fri, May 17, 2013 at 1:01 AM, Pau Garcia i Quiles wrote:
>
>> I am having trouble with my package jquery-jplayer (a JavaScript library
>> with Flash fallback) and I would like to ask for advice on how to proceed
> I would suggest asking upstream again to properly git tag patch
> releases, make branches and do all the other things you suggested in
> your mail. If there is no action, make a fork and submit a pull
> request for them to merge it.
And if upstream doesn't do it after your request, you can
tag it yourself in your own (Alioth?) Git repository, then use
git archive to generate the tarball:

git tag 2.3.2 c2417972af1295be8dcc07470b0e3d25b0a77e0b
git archive --prefix=jplayer-2.3.2/ 2.3.2 | xz >../jplayer_2.3.2.orig.tar.xz

Note that you don't even need to store the master branch
in Alioth to do the above. It works as well if you only merge
upstream branch in your packaging branch, if you use the
following setup in debian/gbp.conf:

[DEFAULT]
debian-branch = debian/unstable
upstream-tag = %(version)s