Re: Debian development and release: always releasable (essay)

On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 12:29:11AM +0200, Kurt Roeckx wrote:
> One thing I'm wondering about, and you don't seem to talk about is
> what versions end up in a release.
>
> Some upstreams have a testing branch of there software and a
> release branch.  It's sometimes useful to have people test the
> version in from the testing branch, and having it available in
> Debian makes it easier for people to test it.
>
> The question is, to what do I upload it?  If I just upload this
> to experimental, I'm not going to get any real users, only people
> who really want to use this newer version for whatever reason.
> But it's sometimes more interesting to have a wider audience use
> it.  This of course depends on how stable the version really is.
> So what people now do is upload this to unstable, and even let it
> migrate to testing.  But it might not be diserable to actually
> have this unreleased version in a Debian release.  It might have
> bugs that aren't RC, and you might be better of with the previous
> release.
>
> Do you have a suggestion on how to deal with that?

On the assumption that the testing branch is not suitable for users of
the software...

I'd use a PPA-style package repository of some sort, and then advertise
it to people might want to try that version of the package. That doesn't
give you as much exposure as uploading it to Debian unstable (and letting
it migrate to Debian testing), but also doesn't impact Debian releases
and doesn't surprise Debian users.

--
http://www.cafepress.com/trunktees -- geeky funny T-shirts
http://gtdfh.branchable.com/ -- GTD for hackers