Re: Upcoming libgd2-{xpm,noxpm}-dev -> libgd2-dev transition

On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 7:55 AM, Guillem Jover <guillem@debian.org> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> On Mon, 2013-05-13 at 22:34:36 +0200, Ondřej Surý wrote:
>> Two things has happened with GD Library:
>>
>> 1. I have dropped the {xpm,noxpm} dichotomy and there's only
>>    libgd2-dev now.  There are transitional packages which are ment
>>    to help with the move to libgd2-dev, so you don't have to make
>>    any changes right now - the binNMUs should work.
>
> Might I suggest libgd-dev instead? If a later API revision makes lots
> of other packages FTBFS, a new versioned libgdN-dev package can always
> be introduced; otherwise unversioned ones in case of say just ABI bumps
> are more correct and cause less painful transitions.

The upstream position is that MAJOR release will break API. (But who
knows if that ever happens). So I think the libgd2-dev actually
reflects the reality pretty well.

I might however add "Provides: libgd-dev" to libgd2-dev package, but
nothing depends on libgd-dev now, so I don't really see a need for it.

>> 2. The upstream, which I accidentaly became part of, has released
>>    libgd-2.1.0-alpha1 today.  This release has merged most of the code
>>    from PHP fork of the library (only some custom antialiasing stuff
>>    was not merged).  But beware not, the API was kept backwards
>>    compatible.
>>
>>    The ABI has remained same as well, but I have decided to bump the
>>    SONAME to 3, because I have implemented the GCC visibility magick,
>>    so only symbols, which were ment to be exposed, are exposed now.
>
> If the SOVERSION is now 3, then the shared library package would need
> to be called libgd3 (and libgd3-dev or as mentioned above ideally
> libgd-dev), or did I misunderstood something in the above?

The '2' in libgd2-dev is from 2.x.x, and not from the SONAME to
reflect the API version (1 vs 2).

I was thinking about renaming the shared package to libgd3, but it
would be quite confusing to have libgd2-dev to go with libgd3.

Ondrej
--
Ondřej Surý <ondrej@sury.org>