Re: epoch fix?

On Tue, May 07, 2013 at 05:22:25PM -0500, Peter Samuelson wrote:

> [Matt Zagrabelny]
> > I've grepped the d-d list, but didn't find any threads regarding
> > fixing epochs in package versions.
>
> This does come up occasionally.

I was unaware of this thing and I'm sure I'm overlooking something,
so can someone give a simple example of actual problems introduced by
using epochs?

Other than "it looks ugly", "some filesystems don't like : and %" and
"people write their own algorithms to compare version numbers", which
have already been mentioned.

Is this documented in the wiki or somewhere else?

Berto