Re: Current and upcoming toolchain changes for jessie

On Wed, May 08, 2013 at 08:08:31AM +0200, Florian Weimer wrote:
> * Roger Leigh:
>
> > On Tue, May 07, 2013 at 03:25:29PM +0200, Matthias Klose wrote:
> >> The decision when to make GCC 4.8 the default for other architectures
> >> is left to the Debian port maintainers.
> >
> > This makes using C++11 and other features only in 4.8 rather difficult.
>
> C++11 hasn't got a stable API yet (implying mass rebuilds on compiler
> updates).  Do we really want to encourage its use at this point?

While the C++11 API isn't completed in its entirety, a large proportion
of it is complete, and as far as I am aware, the API for those parts is
stable and there should be no issues at all with using these.  For
example: std::shared_ptr, std::unique_ptr, std::tuple in the standard
library, and language features such as decltype, nullptr, range-based
for loops etc.  Other parts /are/ broken, such as std::regex; I'm a
little surprised this is even present given its broken state, and the
number of GCC bug reports relating to it reflect that!  I don't see a
problem with using a functional subset of it.

I don't think that Debian is really in a position to influence
whether or not upstreams use particular features of an ISO standard!
They /are/ present and functional; they /will/ be used; any API/ABI
issues (if any) will just need to be dealt with--it's part of
libstdc++ already.

I've moved schroot's development branch to use a conservative subset
of C++11 supported by GCC 4.7 and greater, so that I can support its
use in stable as well as testing and unstable.  The compiler support
for C++11 isn't an issue--it's present and working.  Having a different
version of GCC on different architectures definitely *is* a problem--
if an architecture can't have GCC 4.8 as the default, then maybe we
shouldn't be considering it as a release architecture; and the same
applies to binutils and the rest of the toolchain.

Regards,
Roger

--
  .''`.  Roger Leigh