Re: Merging / and /usr (was: jessie release goals)

On Tue, May 07, 2013 at 05:36:41PM +0200, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> On May 07, Paul Tagliamonte <paultag@debian.org> wrote:
>
> > No please. We are good about making sure they each mean something
> > important, and there's no good reason.
> Not really nowadays: more and more things needed at boot time are in
> /usr and there are no plans to "fix" them.
>
> > We also support setups that might need this split due to low storage,
> > such as arm devices.
> "everything in /usr" actually means that supporting these devices is
> much easier.

Not when you have a 500 meg internal storage that the firmware boots off
of, and using a multi-gig CF card to store the mega-awesome-app you're
using it for.

> --
> ciao,
> Marco

There's literally no good reason to do this besides all the cool kids
are doing it.

-Paul

--
 .''`.  Paul Tagliamonte <paultag@debian.org>