Re: jessie release goals

On Mon, May 06, 2013 at 04:08:07PM +0200, Christoph Anton Mitterer wrote:
> 1) IMHO, services/daemons (e.g. apache, ejabberd, etc.) that listen per
> default on the network (unless loopback only) shouldn't be started per
> default, after being installed.

May I point to /usr/sbin/policy-rc.d? As has been pointed out a number
of times now, there is no consensus on not starting daemons by default.
To enable you as a user to change the default this policy helper is
provided as a hook. You also might want to look at the
policyrcd-script-zg2 package.

This is not to say that the current mechanisms for achieving "do not
start daemons at installation" are ideal. Clearly there is room for
improvement, but the hooks are available.

Helmut