Re: jpeg8 vs jpeg-turbo

On Sat, May 04, 2013 at 06:11:48AM +0200, Matthias Klose wrote:
> Am 24.04.2013 11:23, schrieb Ondřej Surý:
>
> do you have some insight how openjpeg enters this game? apparently some packages
> already use openjpeg explicitly to support some jpeg2000 features.

Irrelevant to this discussion, as it's jpeg2000 not jpeg.  With a short
glance at their webpage, it doesn't seem like it accepts regular jpeg at
all.  "Do one thing and do it well."

> There was
> some discussion on that in Ubuntu, see https://launchpad.net/bugs/711061.

But the bug entry you linked to contains some insight on the IJG guy.  And
it's thoroughly disgusting: his words:

# FILE FORMAT WARS
# ================
#
# The ISO JPEG standards committee actually promotes different formats like
# "JPEG 2000" or "JPEG XR" which are incompatible with original DCT-based
# JPEG and which are based on faulty technologies. IJG therefore does not
# and will not support such momentary mistakes (see REFERENCES).
# We have little or no sympathy for the promotion of these formats. Indeed,
# one of the original reasons for developing this free software was to help
# force convergence on common, interoperable format standards for JPEG files.
# Don't use an incompatible file format!

So, with royal "we", this guy disparages a new format which:
* doesn't pretent to be regular jpeg
* doesn't use .jpg or image/jpeg
* is an official ISO standard
* has some use in the wild
yet he does introduce incompatibilities himself, without meeting any of the
above.

--
ᛊᚨᚾᛁᛏᚣ᛫ᛁᛊ᛫ᚠᛟᚱ᛫ᚦᛖ᛫ᚹᛖᚨᚲ