Re: GSoC project: fedmsg for the Debian infrastructure

+++ Nicolas Dandrimont [2013-04-25 19:13 +0200]:
> * Daniel Pocock <daniel@pocock.com.au> [2013-04-25 17:34:03 +0200]:
>
> > - do we want to use an AMQP broker? In theory, this is an open standard
> > like SMTP: the clients and brokers are interchangeable
>
> As Simon already said, the Fedora people have tested this and rejected it
> because it didn't scale.
>
> we will keep going on with fedmsg.
>
> There are several reasons for doing so:
>  - It is currently implemented in Fedora, on an infra that is different to ours
>    but has similar components
>
>  - This allows for tool interoperability between distros, and why not for
>    inter-distro collaboration
>
>  - It's python, which fits very well with most of our stack
>
>  - Upstream has been super, super helpful so far, and I don't see this changing
>
> I wanted Simon to start this thread to gather ideas: I know some people, mostly
> in DSA, have thought about such a system for some time, so this was more of a
> heads-up than wanting to reconsider the project from scratch. It landed on
> -devel because, well, we couldn't find a more appropriate list :)

I'm not sure how much this helps, but it seems relevant so I'll add it
to the thoughts: Someone has already written a RabbitMQ (APMQ) based
distributed debian buildd system in python:
https://github.com/nicholasdavidson/pybit

This seems to cover at least some of the same ground as the proposed
project, but I just thought it should be mentioned in case it helped
as example code or reducing the wheel-reinventing. This one supports
cross-building. I hope fedmsg can too, but they may not have thought
about that as they don't currently do any. But perhaps it's
sufficiently generic and low-level that this is not a relevant point.

Wookey
http://wookware.org/