Re: GSoC project: fedmsg for the Debian infrastructure

On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 05:34:03PM +0200, Daniel Pocock wrote:
> On 25/04/13 13:50, Simon Chopin wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Nicolas Dandrimont and I are currently working on a project proposal for
> > the Google Summer of Code to use the messaging system written by Fedora,
> > fedmsg[0][1], within the Debian infrastructure (some of you might have seen
> > the various ITPs related to that on -devel).
> >
> > Tollef kindly pointed out to us that Debian service administrators would
> > probably have something to say about all this, so here we are.
> >
> > As a premise, please note that we obviously plan to make fedmsg
> > distro-agnostic before anything else (than packaging). The original
> > upstream author seems very enthousiastic about the project, which makes
> > it probable that we won't have to carry those patches on our own.
> >
> > The thing itself is based on the ZeroMQ protocol.
> >
> > To quote Nicolas:
> >> One of the key outcomes of getting such a system in place, is that everyone,
> >> everywhere, can start listening to the messages and using them, opening up lots
> >> of doors for people to make amazing services based on Debian.
> >>
> >> A few ideas:
> >>  - getting a signal from the archive on an accepted package (I'm confusing
> >>    binaries and sources for the sake of brevity):
> >>    → Trigger a piuparts run
> >>    → Trigger lintian checks
> >>    → Let any derivative intent a rebuild
> >>    → Signal ports to rebuild
> >>    → Trigger a jenkins job on specific package uploads
> >>    → Post to pump.io/identi.ca/twitter
> >>    → get a notification on your desktop
> >>    → ...
> >>  - one of your pet packages gets a git commit
> >>    → try a rebuild
> >>    → run QA checks
> >>    → ...
> >>
> >> (boy, that escalated quickly)
> >>
> >> I think the possibilities are quite nice, and, as the fedmsg webpage says, that
> >> "gives new meaning to open infrastructure".
> > Two features I'd like to implement during this GSoC that are not AFAICT
> > already present in fedmsg are GPG support and some kind of playback
> > mechanism for the systems where it is important that all messages are
> > sent and received (there are some others where the information would
> > have value only at the time of emitting, I suppose).
> >
> > Questions, comments?
>
> ZeroMQ is a very lightweight solution - it is brokerless (like
> multicast) so won't necessarily support the requirement for durable
> subscriptions (keeping messages queued up for clients that are disconnected)
> http://www.zeromq.org/topics:requirements-for-reliability
>
> Some things that are worth looking at:
>
> - do we want to use an AMQP broker? In theory, this is an open standard
> like SMTP: the clients and brokers are interchangeable
>
> - as an alternative, could we use something like SIP or XMPP as a
> messaging platform? Then people can receive messages in their chat
> client. In this case it doesn't appear to be the optimal solution, but
> these protocols are quite good for systems that are very widely
> [...]

Guys, we're *days* into student applications. We should have had this
nailed down weeks ago.

Pick something, go with it, or let's stop this early. Really; we should
be fielding students now, now bikesheading over this stuff.

Cheers,
 Paul

--
 .''`.  Paul Tagliamonte <paultag@debian.org>