jpeg8 vs jpeg-turbo

Hi Bill and Debian Developers,

while doing work on GD Library 2.1.0 it was discovered there's
encoding incompatibility introduced by libjpeg8/9 [1]. While doing
further research I have found that Fedora has switched to
libjpeg-turbo[2] (for reasoning please read the referred email).
Ubuntu (and Steam) is also using libjpeg-turbo as base jpeg library.
SuSE has also switched to libjpeg-turbo some time ago (just had a
quick chat with it's maintainer).

Debian has already open ITP[3] #602034 for libjpeg-turbo, which
support libjpeg62 API/ABI and also some important bits of libjpeg8. As
libjpeg is one of the base libraries of the system, I think it might
be a good idea to discuss this project wide. Also although I have an
opinion (as you might have guessed from this email) that we should try
to be aligned with other distributions and the reasoning for not going
for , I will be happy with whatever result will end-up.

My proposal is:
A. Add libjpeg-turbo to Debian archive (that's easy)
B. Add required provides/alternatives for libjpeg62-dev and
libjpeg8-dev (where API/ABI match)
C. Decide which package should provide default libjpeg-dev library

1. https://bitbucket.org/libgd/gd-libgd/issue/50/tests-jpeg-jpeg_readc-fails-on-debian
2. http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2013-January/176299.html
3. http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=602034

Ondrej