Re: [Debian-med-packaging] Question about proper archive area for packages that require big data for operation

Olivier Sallou <olivier.sallou@irisa.fr> writes:
> Indeed, many bioinformatics programs relies on external data. But I am afraid
> that if we start to add some data packages, we will open an endless open
> door.... BioInformatics datasets are large, and becoming huge and numerous.
> This size will be an issue for Debian mirrors (mainly if some indexed data are
> system dependent) but will also be a pain for the user if, when installing a
> program (to have a look), it downloads GBs of dependent packaged data. It may
> be really slow and fill the user disk (and I do not talk of package updates).

Without having any solution, I'd like to mention that this is not a med
specific problem. I am working on a number of packages for astrophysics
that require/suggest up to some hundreds of megabytes calibration data
<http://www.eso.org/sci/software/pipelines/>. Given that these packages
are of quite specific interest, it makes IMO no sense to pollute all
Debian mirrors with these files.

Best regards

Ole