Re: Issues with Multi-Arch:same packages on purge

On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 07:31:54AM +0200, Guillem Jover wrote:
> I guess a way to detect those could be piuparts runs that install
> multiple instances of Multi-Arch:same packages, purge just one of
> them, and compare that the packages created by the first instance
> are not removed, and that other files do not get modified. Andreas,
> would that be possible?

A few months ago I looked at the archive for such cases. My technique
was to download all M-A:same packages for one architecture, extract the
maintainer scripts, look for suspicious commands and investigate. Of
course this doesn't scale. At that time it resulted in the following bug
reports:

 #695268
 #695271
 #695272
 #695275

The small number highlights that this is not yet a frequent problem.

Given the complexity of these issues I tend to think the policy should
discourage (as in "should not") the usage of shared resources in
M-A:same packages. Then lintian could be used to warn about non-trivial
maintainer scripts in M-A:same packages. Do others share that view?

Helmut