Re: Derivatives, MongoDB and freezes

Le Sat, Apr 20, 2013 at 11:05:29AM -0700, Clint Byrum a écrit :

> These patches, by and large should not require duplication. If you
> look, some of the arm support patches happened in Fedora, not
> Ubuntu. Now, I think I might scold my colleagues in Ubuntu for not
> annotating their patches with bug reports so we can make sure they
> get forwarded to upstream and closed. But as long as these issues
> are being forwarded upstream, they should not be "duplicated" at
> all.

Hi Clint,

this is a key point: the one who makes the patch should forward it upstream
directly.  This way it benefits everybody.

For a large number of bug reports forwarded to Debian from Ubuntu, I wonder why
one is asking me to forward Upstream, intead of doing it himself, especially in
some race-conditions situations (new compilers, new linkers, etc.) where
Upstreams would have adapted their software themselves if we had given them a
bit more time.

Cheers,

--
Charles Plessy