Re: Automatically satisfying Build-Depends from local control file

On Thu, 18 Apr 2013 18:42:10 +0200
Marc Haber <mh+debian-devel@zugschlus.de> wrote:

> And because we want to do a really really good solution, a ten year
> old wishlist bug which has a patch in the BTS for three years remains
> unsolved?

It's wishlist - I dread to think how many higher severity bugs have been
opened and closed against apt in that time. Priorities...

> A true wise decision which proves that we always care about
> our users.

It's a minor irritation which we already have support in the important
tools (sbuild, pbuilder) and a variety of other methods for other use
cases.

If installing something from a cross-building heritage is so impossible
for you, then copy the perl code out of embuilddeps and remove the
cross-stuff. It's not hard to do - it just isn't sufficiently important
that I can see any need to do it right now. There's a release to do
first.

The code to do this exists, it up to you to use it instead of whinging
about the Social Contract, *again*. (Always the last resort of those
who only want to complain without actually writing some code.)

I don't mind if the quoted bug gets fixed, I've written a tool which
does what I need and I've uploaded it to Debian (a long time ago). Use
it, fork it, I really don't mind - just don't continue to moan without
at least explaining why it won't work for your situation.

--

Neil Williams