Bug#705352: ITP: bittwist -- libpcap-based Ethernet packet generator
Owner: Joao Eriberto Mota Filho <firstname.lastname@example.org>
IMPORTANT: This package is being reintroduced in Debian.
* Package name : bittwist
Version : 2.0
Upstream Author : Addy Yeow Chin Heng <email@example.com>
* URL : http://bittwist.sourceforge.net
* License : GPL2
Programming Lang: C
Description : libpcap-based Ethernet packet generator
Bit-Twist is designed to complement tcpdump, which by itself has done a great
job in capturing network traffic. Bit-Twist can regenerate the captured
traffic onto a live network (the packets are generated from tcpdump trace
file, generating a .pcap file).
Bit-Twist also comes with a comprehensive trace file editor to allow to change
the contents of a trace file.
Generally, a packet generator is useful in simulating networking traffic or
scenario, testing firewall, IDS, and IPS, and troubleshooting various network
The Bit-Twist features are:
* send multiple trace files at a time;
* send packets at a specific speed or line rate in Mbps;
* comprehensive trace file editor with control over most fields in
Ethernet, ARP, IP, ICMP, TCP, and UDP headers with automatic header
* append user payload to existing packets after a specific header;
* select a specific range of packets and save them in another trace file;
* if you are teaching Computer Networks classes, you may find Bit-Twist
useful as a practical teaching material. It gives your students a
hands-on experience to learn various networking protocols etc.