Re: NEW processing during freezes (Was: R 3.0.0 and required rebuilds of all reverse Depends: of R)

On 04/09/2013 11:54 PM, Bernd Zeimetz wrote:
> So when did you offer yourself to join the FTP team?

I didn't offer to completely join forever, but I offered my help,
few months ago. Though considering the mistakes I did in
the past (and still do from time to time, despite my (probably
wrong) feeling to do double-checks), I do understand why
they didn't feel comfortable with me checking for licenses.

On 04/09/2013 11:54 PM, Bernd Zeimetz wrote:
>> Suggestion #2: get rid of the new binary queue (not new source
>> package, that's different). There's no reason why the licensing
>> of a package changes just because the maintainer decides to add
>> a new binary, so it makes no sense. This would save a lot of
>> time for the FTP team.
>
> No. Go back to start and learn why there is a NEW queue.
No what? To which part of the above?

Would you care to explain, since I'm so dumb and I should learn?
In what way adding lines in debian/control changes the licensing
of upstream source?

>> Suggestion #5: make it so that a bunch of packages can be
>> reviewed together, as they might depend on each other, and we
>> would like to avoid cases where some packages are accepted, but
>> can't be installed because their dependencies are in NEW.
>
> And that breaks exactly what? Such a package will never migrate
> to testing. No harm done. Also you might want to avoid to depend
> on packages not yet in Debian as they might never end up in
> Debian at all.

If I upload new packages A and B, that A depends and B, and
that A gets approved, but B doesn't, then we end up with
package A being in Debian, but never installable.

Now, if what you are suggesting that I should wait for B
to be approved before uploading A, I think you aren't
being realistic when the NEW queue has a 3 months
waiting time. This might work with small projects, but
if you have to maintain a complex set of packages, with
lots of dependencies, it just doesn't work. Been there,
tried that ...

Also, thinking only about testing, when we have a 10 months
period of freeze, is quite crazy. So yes, harm done, even in
Experimental (during the freeze)!

> No. Go back to start and learn why there is a NEW queue.

You didn't need to repeat this sentence 3 times.

I believe I know why we have it, never the less, I feel
like there would be better ways to handle the problem.
I'm only the vocal person here, I know I'm not the only
one thinking this way. Others probably fear the reaction
of the FTP masters, I personally think (and hope) they
are smarter than this and accept constructive critics.

Thomas