Re: R 3.0.0 and required rebuilds of all reverse Depends: of R

On Sun, Mar 31, 2013 at 11:45:15AM -0500, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:

> A new major release R 3.0.0 will come out on Wednesday April 3rd, as usual
> according the the release plan and announcements [1].
>
> It contains major internal changes [2] and requires rebuilds of all R
> packages.  As I usually do, I started packaging pre-releases and rc
> candidates [3] based on March 24, 27 and 30 snapshots.
>
> Michael Rutter, who tirelessly backports (most of) my Debian R packages to
> Ubuntu, has also made builds of these R packages [4].
>
> As for unstable, we have an issue as essentially all reverse-dependencies
> that are R packages will need to be rebuilt [5]. On testing, I get for
> 158 packages from `apt-cache rdepends r-base-core | grep -c r-cran-`.

I am a little unclear what is required; is a binary rebuild
sufficient, or is some change in the source code necessary?  If the
former, would it not be better just to ask the buildd administrators
for a binary rebuild as opposed to having a new source version just
for this?

   Julian