Re: Git packaging workflow discussion on planet.d.o

Andrey Rahmatullin <wrar@wrar.name> writes:
> On Thu, Apr 04, 2013 at 12:07:42PM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:

>> Since the Debian archive needs the tarballs *anyway*, the small amount
>> of additional work required to use the upstream release tarballs so
>> that we're obviously consistent seems worth it.

> FSVO small.

> It's easy when the tarball is file-to-file identical with the release
> tag, otherwise the workflow becomes clumsier for a benefit which is not
> obvious (except for a general opinion that some unknown amount of people
> benefit from this).

Please see my blog post cited at the start of this thread.  There is
absolutely no need for the release tarball to be file-to-file identical
with the release tag for this to be easy; it's trivial regardless of how
different the tarball is from the release tag unless it's pathologically
different (uses a completely different file layout, for example).