Re: R 3.0.0 and required rebuilds of all reverse Depends: of R

On 2013-04-02 14:29:46 +0100, Neil Williams wrote:
> That is not how it actually works out. Policy changes are made which
> require old packages to build with new flags, compilers and toolchain
> packages get upgraded and introduce new failure modes, QA tools improve
> and catch more corner cases. Those things no longer happen during a
> freeze, so the bug count has a chance to go down.
>
> Look at the graphs on bugs.debian.org - the RC count rises steadily
> outside of a freeze.

The graph is meaningless. Many RC bugs can be due to transitions,
which are specific (the freeze applies to *all* packagse). This is
also due to the fact that more people are working on fixing RC bugs
*now* instead of doing that before.

> Again, you're missing the whole inter-dependency issue. A new piece of
> software can introduce / reveal bugs in previously working software. Or
> a previously working piece of software can start to fail because
> hardware has moved on and is able to push more data through the
> software than previously envisaged leading to complex threading /
> timing issues.

But my point is that this is true only for some particular packages
and this doesn't prevent developers from fixing RC bugs.