Re: R 3.0.0 and required rebuilds of all reverse Depends: of R

Le mardi 02 avril 2013 à 09:15 +0100, Jonathan Dowland a écrit :
> The universal rebuttal to all complaints about the release process. Sadly
> it misses the point at the heart of most complaints: far too much work is
> needed to become release-ready, and there is not enough resource to do it.
>
> People who feel the release process is broken and care about Debian have
> a duty to discuss it.

This is indeed Debian’s problem and needs discussion, but the roots lie
in upstreams. It mostly comes down to the fact that upstreams of a
growing number of projects are not able to synchronize their releases so
that a single set of versions can all work together.

Personally I think the best way to alleviate that problem would be to
reduce the set of packages that are included in a stable release (and
that also means in testing). But that is a high price to pay for the
sole benefit of making releases easier.

Cheers,
--
 .''`.      Josselin Mouette