Re: Splitting the devscripts package

On Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 2:41 PM, Benjamin Drung <bdrung@debian.org> wrote:
> Am Sonntag, den 31.03.2013, 00:13 +0000 schrieb Ben Hutchings:
>> On Sat, 2013-03-30 at 22:49 +0100, Benjamin Drung wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > devscripts ships a bunch of scripts to make the life of a Debian Package
>> > maintainer easier. Not every script in there is Debian packaging
>> > specific. Some of them are used on other non-Debian-based distributions.
>> > I was contacted [1] and asked if we could split the Debian packaging
>> > specific scripts from the rest.
>> >
>> > I like to keep only Debian packaging specific scripts in devscripts (see
>> > the list below). Where should we put the non Debian packaging specific
>> > scripts? Should we create a neutral project or are there other projects
>> > in which these scripts fit?
>>
>> There is no reason why Debian couldn't continue to be upstream for
>> these, but hosting on freedesktop.org might make them more visible to
>> other distributions.
>>
>> [...]
>> > Debian packaging specific scripts
>> > =================================
>> [...]
>>
>> These might usefully be further divided into truly Debian-specific and
>> dpkg/apt-specific, at least in binary packages.
>
> What would this additional split give us as advantage? Are there
> distributions that use dpkg/apt, but are not Debian derivatives?

There is apt-rpm which is a pre-0.6 apt fork used by some distributions
as their only supported package manager (the later according to wikipedia).
[version 0.6 marked the introduction of apt-secure … on Christmas 2003]

I have neither looked at the distributions nor at the scripts, so I have
no idea how (un)useful they will be and/or if they even work on apt << 0.6.
I am just saying that APT presence is not limited to Debian derivatives …

Best regards

David Kalnischkies